Skip to main content

Archives at Cornell

St. Ambrose Church of Greece parish record book

 Collection — microfilm reel: 1
Identifier: 6211

Scope and content

The parish register includes records of baptisms (1848-1860); marriage records (1849-1860); and death records (1849-1860).

Dates

  • 1848-1860.

Creator

Language of Material

Text in Latin.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

Information obtained from these records may not be published or otherwise released in such form that any individual mentioned in the records can be identified..

Biographical / Historical

The first church was built in 1829 and was the first Catholic Church erected in a rural area in the State of New York. The church was commonly called the "Church in the Wood." The church was opened for divine service by Father O'Donaghue who celebrated the first mass and dedicated the church to St. Ambrose. A resident priest was assigned to the church in 1840. A brick structure was constructed in 1859-60 and the new building was dedicated on September 16, 1860 to The Mother of Seven Sorrows. In recent years, the church has been known as Mother of Seven Sorrows Roman Catholic Church.

Extent

1 microfilm reels. (1 microfilm reels.)