Skip to main content

Archives at Cornell

Merrimack Manufacturing Records

 Collection
Identifier: 6780

Scope and Contents

The contents of this collection comprise records related to the business operations of the Merrimack Manufacturing Company between 1825 and 1954, with the bulk of the records dating prior to 1862. Concerning organization and administration, the records consist of a series of annual certificates of the assessments and debts of the Merrimack Manufacturing Company from 1851 to 1861; legal contracts for the acquisition of property (1839-1840) and bonding two employees of the company (n.d.); and the purchase of the assets of the Merrimack Manufacturing Company by the Merrimack Manufacturing Company in 1952.

The executive records consist of letterbooks and a journal, authored by employees in the positions of Treasurer (Ebenezer B. Chadwick, 1840-1848), Superintendent of the Mills (Isaac Hinckley, 1838-1858), and Superintendent of the Print Works (Allen Pollock and John D. Prince, 1824-1855), as well as a letter and records of prices at the Tremont and Suffolk Mills in Lowell, addressed to John Clark (Superintendent of the Mills, 1832-1841). The letterbooks and journal contain copies of outgoing business-related correspondence and notes on day-to-day activities. The journal of Isaac Hinckley also contains inventories, account summaries, and mill synopses in the back (1838-1858). Hinckley’s journal contains many notations on employees’ behavior, such as a list of those warned that second attendance at public dances would be grounds for immediate discharge. The letterbook of the Superintendent of the Print Works, in addition to containing entries signed by Pollock and Prince (though the majority are signed by Prince), contains several anonymous entries and one signed by Kirk Boott as “Agent.”

The financial records (1825-1954) consist of balances, divisions of accounts, inventories of stock on hand, analysis of sales expenses, cost estimates, and miscellaneous statements.

The purchasing records (1839-1843) consist of orders, prices, deliveries, and bills. The sales records (1825 and 1954) document sales of textiles.

The labor records (1825-1842) consist of wages paid and due, payrolls, a notice to overseers, and a discharge of employees from their responsibilities as trustees.

The production records (1825-1843, 1954) consist of proposals for changing from two- to three-shift production, an inventory of goods bleached and printed, and a calculation of production amounts.

Miscellaneous records (1834-1839) consist of lists of wages, working conditions (such as the mean temperature in one of the Lawrence Corporation’s mills), and stock on hand at other mills; a proxy appointment as a bank stakeholder; a release of parental claim upon the wages of a minor child; measurements of stone used in the construction of a mill; a letter comparing American manufacturing processes to English ones; and a cloth tag for velveteen.

Dates

  • 1824-1958

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Access to the collections in the Kheel Center is restricted. Please contact a reference archivist for access to these materials.

Conditions Governing Use

This collection must be used in keeping with the Kheel Center Information Sheet and Procedures for Document Use.

Biographical / Historical

The Merrimack Manufacturing Company was incorporated in 1822 by Nathan Appleton, Patrick Tracy Jackson, Kirk Boott, Warren Dutton, Paul Moody, and John W. Boott, among others. Land near the Pawtucket Falls (in what was then East Chelmsford) was selected as the most suitable location for water-powered manufacturing. The first acts of MMC were to construct a dam across the Merrimack River, to improve the locks and canals, and to construct a new canal. MMC was established to introduce calico-printing to the United States (though two other manufacturing companies may have succeeded in doing so first), and it was the first company to use cylinder rollers for printing calico. MMC’s first mill was established in 1823. Three additional mill buildings were erected in 1824. Eventually, MMC had eight mill buildings in addition to a number of other structures. The presence of MMC helped attract settlers and the community became a new town, Lowell, in 1826. In 1900, a new plant, which produced lawns and printed cloths, was established in Huntsville, Alabama. The Lowell plant was known for plain and fancy cottons, corduroys, velveteens, and blended yarn constructions. In 1938, MMC consolidated, auctioning off real estate, machinery, and equipment in Lowell, and it ceased operations in 1957.

According to The Bay State Monthly in 1884, MMC was the oldest and also the largest company in the city in terms of the number of operatives employed, the amount of cloth produced, and the size of the mill’s chimney. It was considered the “oldest integrated cotton textile operation still extant in the U.S.” by America’s Textile Reporter when it ceased operations in 1957. Among its officers were Superintendents of the Mills John Clark and Isaac Hinckley, from 1833 to 1848, and from 1850 to 1865, respectively; Superintendents of the Print Works Kirk Boott, Allen Pollock, and John D. Prince, in 1822, 1823 to 1826, and 1826 to 1855, respectively; and Treasurers Kirk Boott (until 1837) and Ebenezer B. Chadwick (ca. 1838 – 1854). The Treasurers of MMC were also the General Agents and were considered the chief executive officers.

BIBLIOGRAPHY:

“Absolute auction by order of the Merrimack Manufacturing Company at Lowell, Mass. Of a part of the machinery and equipment now in its Lowell plant.” Boston: Samuel T. Freeman & Co., 1938.

“For sale machinery and supplies…from carded-combed and weave mill located at Merrimack Manufacturing Co., Lowell, Mass.” Lowell, Mass.: Frank G. W. McKittrick Co., [1958?].

Illustrated history of Lowell and vicinity. Lowell, Mass.: Courier-Citizen Co., 1897.

“An important sale of real estate at public auction to the highest bidders comprising 24 dwellings, 1 building lot, valuable modern industrial real estate of the Merrimack Manufacturing Company at Lowell, Mass.” Boston: Samuel T. Freeman & Co., 1938. “Lowell,” The Bay State Monthly, I (3): 161-200 (March 1884).

“The Merrimack,” America’s Textile Reporter, LXXII (4): 1, 27-28, 38 (Jan. 23, 1958).

Merrimack Manufacturing Company. Report of the committee of the proprietors of the Merrimack Manufacturing Company appointed to examine into the affairs of said company; and the report of the directors’ committee in relation to that report. Boston: J. H. Eastburn’s Press, 1861.

Merrimack Manufacturing Company. Presenting Merrimack Manufacturing Company. Huntsville, Ala.: Merrimack Manufacturing Co., [ca. 1943?].

Stone, O. L. History of Massachusetts industries, vol. 1. Boston: The S. J. Publishing Co., 1930.

Extent

2 cubic feet

Language of Materials

English

Custodial History

American Textile History Museum Collection, gift of Alden Ives Gilford, Thomas Kelly, Leigh Fibers, Inc., the Old Slater Mill, and Manuel D. Santos.

Processing Information

The ATHM # references the accession number given to collections by the American Textile History Museum (ATHM). These numbers have been kept and tracked for researchers looking for former citations. This collection combines multiple accessions from the ATHM. The accession numbers included in this collection are 0022.189, 0022.438; 1989.1.136-141,144,149; 2013.211.1; and 2013.222.24-26

When the materials had been processed by the ATHM, we kept the records in the original order but sometimes the box and folders numbers will change. The old numbers appear in the processing note, the box and folder are the numbers that immediately follow the accession number. For instance, the number 2013.211.1.1.3, would indicate that the material was formerly in Box 1, Folder 3.

Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Kheel Center for Labor-Management Documentation & Archives Repository

Contact:
227 Ives Hall Tower Road
Ithaca NY 14853
607-255-3183