Correspondence on the extension of Cornell University Library
Scope and content
Typewritten and manuscript correspondence to and from the Board of Trustees concerning the proposed demolition of Boardman Hall and the construction of Olin Library in its place. Also discussed is the question of what to do with the carved heads on Boardman Hall. Correspondents include Gilmore D. Clarke, Arthur H. Dean, Robert B. Meigs, John L. Collyer, Floyd R. Newman, and others.
Dates
- 1956-1959.
Creator
- Cornell University. Board of Trustees (Organization)
- Clarke, Gilmore D., 1892-1982. (Person)
- Dean, Arthur H. (Person)
- Meigs, Robert B. (Person)
- Collyer, John Lyon, 1893- (Person)
- Newman, Floyd R. (Floyd Roy), 1890-1990. (Person)
Language of Material
In English.
Biographical / Historical
Boardman Hall, designed by local architect William Henry Miller, was originally the home of the Cornell Law School, and was the middle one of three buildings designed by Miller which stood in a row at the south end of the arts quad: Stimson Hall, Boardman, and the University Library (now called Uris Library). As the University Library building became overcrowded, various proposals for an extension to the building were considered, but eventually it was decided to demolish Boardman Hall (by that time no longer used by the Law School) and build a new research library in its place. The proposal was controversial, but in the end the demolition and construction proceeded, giving rise to Olin Library, which opened in 1961. Some of the carved stone human heads that had been under the eaves on the exterior of Boardman Hall were preserved on the exterior of Olin Library, at its northwest corner.
Extent
.2 cubic feet. (.2 cubic feet.)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Undetermined
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Repository Details
Part of the Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections Repository
2B Carl A. Kroch Library
Cornell University
Ithaca NY 14853
607-255-3530
607-255-9524 (Fax)