Olin and Uris Library dedication miscellany
Scope and content
Programs and an invitation for the dedication ceremony and its accompanying conference, concert, and other festivities; correspondence relating to the planning for the events with Library staff, event attendees, and others; pamphlets on the new Olin Library and Uris Library; and the Cornell Daily Sun issue for October 10, 1962. The correspondence consists mainly of letters and memos from University Librarian Stephen A. McCarthy. Also a plaque from the Jacques Lipchitz sculpture The Bather given by Harold Uris and Percy Uris in 1962 and formerly displayed between the two libraries.
Dates
- 1962.
Creator
- no primary creator (Person)
- McCarthy, Stephen A. (Stephen Anthony), 1908-1990. (Person)
Language of Material
In English.
Biographical / Historical
The Cornell University library building with the clock tower was known as the University Library until 1961, when part of its holdings were moved to the newly built Olin Library, and the building with the clock tower was renamed Uris Library. Olin was the graduate library, Uris the undergraduate library. The dedication ceremony for both libraries, also known as the central libraries, was held on October 10, 1962. In conjunction with the dedication, Cornell held a two-day program on "New directions for the University Library" on October 9-10, and the Philadelphia Orchestra gave a concert together with the Cornell Glee Club.
Extent
.2 cubic feet. (.2 cubic feet.)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Undetermined
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Repository Details
Part of the Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections Repository
2B Carl A. Kroch Library
Cornell University
Ithaca NY 14853
607-255-3530
607-255-9524 (Fax)