Skip to main content

Archives at Cornell

Cornell University Library construction and repair records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: 43-6-434

Scope and content

Correspondence, documents, and plans relating to the construction and maintenance of the University Library building, including specifications for its construction, specifications for a ventilation system and for metal book stacks, and correspondence concerning the addition of electricity and modifications to its steam heating system. Correspondents include University Librarian George W. Harris, Henry W. Sage, University Treasurer E.L. Williams, Buffalo Forge Company, Snead & Company iron works, George Stikeman Metal Works.

Scope and content

Printed copies (8.5 x 11) of William H. Miller floor plans for the University Library (4 items)

Dates

  • 1888-1936.

Creator

Language of Material

In English.

Biographical / Historical

The Cornell University Library was originally housed in Morrill Hall. As its holdings outgrew their allotted space, the library was moved to McGraw Hall. Henry W. Sage provided funding for a new, larger building to house the still-growing library, and hired local architect William Henry Miller to design it. The new Library building, with the clock tower which has since become emblematic of Cornell, opened on October 7, 1891. Today it is known as Uris Library.

Extent

.2 cubic feet. (.2 cubic feet.)

Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections Repository

Contact:
2B Carl A. Kroch Library
Cornell University
Ithaca NY 14853
607-255-3530
607-255-9524 (Fax)