Skip to main content

Archives at Cornell

President's house collection

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: 47-1-3583

Scope and content

"A History of the Cornell University President's House," 2006, by Elizabeth Trapnell Rawlings. Items collected by Elizabeth Rawlings include a copy of a letter from David Perkins about growing up in the house and a letter from Lolly Treman with some notes about her experiences at the house.

Scope and content

Photographs of interior and exterior views of Robin Hill by Fenner Studios (7 views, 3 duplicates) and by John Wallace Gillies (9 pictures). Also one aerial view.

Dates

  • [ca. 1920] - 2006.

Creator

Biographical / Historical

The Cornell President's house at 511 Cayuga Heights Road was originally owned and built by J. Lakin Baldridge (Class of 1915). Known as Robin Hill, in 1944 it was purchased by Robert Treman, who lived there with his wife Carolyn Slater and their daughters, Laura (Lolly) Treman Alquist and Carol Treman des Cognets, until the late 1950s. Cornell University purchased the house in 1963 as the home of James Perkins, the seventh president of the university. President Perkins, his wife, and their four children lived there until 1969. The University sold the house, and repurchased it again in 1993, when it was officially designated as the President's House.

Extent

.2 cubic feet. (.2 cubic feet.)

Language of Materials

English

Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections Repository

Contact:
2B Carl A. Kroch Library
Cornell University
Ithaca NY 14853
607-255-3530
607-255-9524 (Fax)