Skip to main content

Archives at Cornell

Urbana Wine Company records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: 6671

Scope and content

A comprehensive set of imprint letter books and some loose correspondence relating to the operation of the Urbana Wine Co., including production, sales, marketing and other business affairs.

Dates

  • 1900-1918.

Creator

Biographical / Historical

The Urbana Wine Co. (Hammondsport, N.Y.) was organized by eight investors on June 1, 1865. The first company winemaker was Charles LeBreton from France, who was replaced by Jules Crance, also from France, in 1881. Crance's family was involved with the company until the 1960s. In the 1890s the company went bankrupt and was later reorganized. It had some success until the enactment of Prohibition. During this period, the company renamed itself Gold Seal Products Company and applied for a license to produce wines for sacramental purposes. Charles Fournier, who only intended to stay until the company was back on its feet after Prohibition, became the company president. In the 1950s, the winery changed hands many times, and by 1979 it was controlled by Joseph E. Seagram & Sons Inc. who moved the entire Urbana production to the Taylor Wine Co. complex.

Extent

13 cubic feet. (13 cubic feet.)

Language of Materials

English