St. John's Episcopal Church of Canandaigua records
Scope and content
One volume of warden's and vestrymen's meeting minutes (1837-1869), one volume of annual warden's and vestrymen's meeting minutes (1857-1859); four volumes of membership information (1834-1849, 1816-1835, 1816-1869, 1863-1892); one volume of accounts for the construction of the church (1816-1817) and a pamphlet entitled "The Protestant Episcopal Pulpit" containing the transcriptions of two sermons.
Dates
- 1816-1892.
Creator
Biographical / Historical
On September 27, 1814 the parish of St. John's was formed by the organization of "the wardens and vestrymen of St. John's Church in Canandaigua under the supervision of Bishop J.H. Hobart." The parish's first church building was consecrated December 12, 1816, but as soon as 1822, debt forced the society to advertise it for sale. A gift of $1500 by the Trinity Church of New York City, and an additional $5000 subscribed by members and friends of the church made its sale unnecessary. In 1873 this church was demolished and a new one was constructed.
Extent
1 microfilm reels. (1 microfilm reels.)
Language of Materials
English
Location of Originals Note
Holder of originals: Originals held by St. John's Episcopal Church.
- Canandaigua (N.Y.) -- Religious life and customs.
- Church records and registers -- New York (State) -- Canandaigua.
- Churches, Anglican -- New York (State) -- Canandaigua.
- Episcopal Church -- New York (State) -- Canandaigua.
- Minutes.
- Ontario County (N.Y.) -- Religious life and customs.
- Trinity Church (New York, N.Y.)
- Description rules
- Appm
- Language of description
- Undetermined
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Repository Details
Part of the Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections Repository
2B Carl A. Kroch Library
Cornell University
Ithaca NY 14853
607-255-3530
607-255-9524 (Fax)