Skip to main content

Archives at Cornell

Presbyterian Church of Newark records

 Collection — microfilm reel: 1
Identifier: 6116

Scope and content

Minutes of annual and trustee meetings (1824-1836, 1838-1845) with meeting house accounts (1838-1845, 1841) and a list of quarterly subscription payments (1837-); minutes of session meetings (1825-1835), 1835-1837, 1837-1886); registers of members and baptisms; and church reports of membership (1826-1836, 1844-1886).

Dates

  • 1824-1925.

Creator

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

Information obtained from these records may not be published or otherwise released in such form that any individual mentioned in the records can be identified..

Biographical / Historical

This church was constituted as the First Presbyterian Church of Newark by commissioners from the Presbytery of Geneva on April 20, 1825 at a meeting held in the village school house. Of the original 63 members, 23 were from the church in Phelps, 37 from East Palmyra and two from elsewhere. The first pastor, the Reverend Alfred Campbell was commissioned by the Home Missionary Society to labor with the church. He was installed in November 1826 and remained until September 1828. Revivals occurred in 1831, 1848, 1854, 1874 and 1880.

Biographical / Historical

. The first meeting house, finished in the fall of 1827, was wooden. It was taken down to provide space for a new church in 1852. When almost completed it was destroyed by fire in June 1853. Rebuilding was begun and completed in 1854. Both structures cost the Society about $18,000. The church was enlarged and renovated in 1875 at a cost of $12,000.

Extent

1 microfilm reels. (1 microfilm reels.)

Language of Materials

English