Skip to main content

Archives at Cornell

Second Baptist Church of Milo records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: 6142

Scope and content

Two volumes of covenant meeting minutes (1810-1853, 1854-1877) with membership lists and one volume of annual trustee meeting minutes (1843-1917). Issues such as anti-masonry and immorality, including balls, dancing and plays are significant.

Dates

  • 1810-1917.

Creator

Biographical / Historical

Elder Simon Sutherland preached in the neighborhood of this church as early as 1807, holding meetings in the schoolhouse. In 1810 a series of meetings were held at the home of Isaac Hedges to consider the subject of church organization. Early in 1811 the organization was effected under the name of the South Benton Chruch with eleven members. After the town divided in 1821 the name of the church was changed to Second Milo Baptist Church. In 1824 a branch was established in Jerusalem. In December 1828 at a church meeting in Jerusalem it was resolved to hold a meeting every other month in Penn Yan. In 1829 members from Penn Yan were set off as a separate church. In 1832 a meeting house was built on the same lot for $2800. Revivals occurred in 1832, and large growth occurred during the pastorate of Elder A. W. Sunderlm from 1836-1850.

Extent

1 microfilm reels.

1 folders.

Language of Materials

English