First Methodist Episcopal Church of Wayland records
Scope and content
Pre-printed register lists of probationers, classes, members, baptisms and marriages. Also minutes of annual meetings to elect trustees and special meetings to deal with temporal affairs and subscription lists.
Dates
- 1866-1896.
Creator
- First Methodist Episcopal Church of Wayland (Wayland, N.Y.) (Organization)
Biographical / Historical
In 1819 when the Dansville circuit was organized,the settlement which became Wayland was one of the points visited by the circuit riders. By 1844 it had been renamed Springwater circuit. In 1852 "Wayland Depot" is mentioned in the Genesee Conference Minutes as a separate charge. On May 2, 1853 trustees were elected and the church incorporated as the First Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Wayland in 1858. That same year a Sunday school was organized. In 1859 land was deeded to the church and a house of worship was constructed. It was enlarged and improved several times by the addition of prayer rooms and a steeple in 1873, by the a bell in 1875, by the additional of interior woodwork in 1887, new pews in 1892, a portico in 1897, social rooms in 1905 and an organ in 1909.
Extent
2 microfilm reels. (2 microfilm reels.)
Language of Materials
English
Location of Originals Note
Holder of originals: Records held by United Methodist Church of Wayland.
- Description rules
- Appm
- Language of description
- Undetermined
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Repository Details
Part of the Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections Repository
2B Carl A. Kroch Library
Cornell University
Ithaca NY 14853
607-255-3530
607-255-9524 (Fax)